The Client Integration Plug-in provides access to a virtual machine's console in the vSphere Web Client. It also support some other vSphere infrastructure features such as deploying OVF or OVA templates and transferring files with the datastore browser. You can also use the Client Integration Plug-in to connect virtual devices that reside on a client computer to a virtual machine.
Normally, in order to enable the functionalities listed above, the Client Integration Plug-in is something you need to install only once. Newer vSphere releases generally offer an upgrade option for the Client Integration Plug-in.
If the Client Integration Plug-in is either missing or outdated, the vSphere Web Client GUI provides you with the opportunity to install the latest release. Once the plug-in has been installed or updated, all links pointing to the installation source are removed.
There are four ways you can install the Client Integration Plug-in:
- Open a Web browser and type the URL for the vSphere Web Client.
- At the bottom of the vSphere Web Client login page, click Download Client Integration Plug-in.
This option is not available for browsers that run on a Mac OS.
- Select a virtual machine in the inventory and click the Summary tab.
- Click Download Plug-in.
- Select a host in the inventory and select Actions > All vCenter Actions > Deploy OVF Template.
- Click Download Client Integration Plug-in.
This option is not available for Microsoft Internet Explorer, and for browsers that run on a Mac OS.
- Select a virtual machine in the inventory, click the Summary tab, and click Launch Console.
- At the top right corner of the virtual machine console window, click Download Client Integration Plugin.
|Source: vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center.|
Now suppose the following:
- What if you are convinced that your Client Integration Plug-in isn't working as expected and you want to quickly, manually reinstall it without having to uninstall it first?
- Also, what if you want to quickly reinstall the plug-in, but are remotely connected to your vCenter Server over a very slow connection?
- And again, what if you want to pre-distribute the plug-in, together with your preferred certified browser, to dozens, hundreds or thousands of client machines?
In short: how can you get hold of the Client Integration Plug-in installation packages for Windows, Mac OS X and/or Linux so that you can install them whenever you want?
The answer is simple: you can download the installation packages directly from the installation source in your vCenter Server 5.5.
- If you are running a Windows-based vCenter Server, then the installation source is located in C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient\server\work\deployer\s\global\72\0\container-app-war-5.5.0.war\vmrc\
- If you are running a vCenter Server Appliance, the installation source can be found in /usr/lib/vmware-vsphere-client/server/work/deployer/s/global/72/0/container-app-war-5.5.0.war/vmrc/
There you find the following packages:
- VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-5.5.0.exe - for Windows clients
- VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-5.5.0.i386.bundle - for 32bit Linux clients
- VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-5.5.0.mac64.dmg - for Mac OS X clients
- VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-5.5.0.x86_64.bundle - for 64bit Linux clients
For information about supported Internet browsers and guest operating system versions, see the VMware knowledgebase article number 2005083.